Accounting Specialist – Las Vegas, NV
General Summary of Position
The Accounting Specialist – Construction Division is responsible for daily, weekly and monthly accounting activities for the Division’s location(s); including accounts payable, job costing, and related reporting for monthly accounting requirements. In this highly responsible position the employee will be ensuring that Anthony & Sylvan’s accounting standards are met and may interface a significant amount with After Market, Retail, BYP division staff as well as corporate.
Accounts Payable / Job Cost Analysis
- Monitor and process subcontractor accounts payable ensuring invoiced costs are within job standards, verifying that invoiced price is accurate, matching to work orders, alerting management of any issues such as variances to standard cost or other discrepancies, and managing invoice due dates to corporate check run dates. Enter explanation of job cost discrepancy in Solomon when processing the invoice.
- Monitor and process inventory and cost of goods sold accounts payable matching receivers and purchase orders to invoices; and/or matching to addendums and work orders.
- Ensure proper approvals and account coding on all invoices; distribute checks to vendors and/or employees; maintain related vendor files.
- Ensure that all subcontractors have a valid agreement on file and that all insurance requirements have been met and are on file before processing. Upload updated documents to SharePoint.
- Recap job phases in daily as work is completed. Monitor job cost cards for variances and make corrections to cost standards as necessary before month-end close. Help control expenses by notifying appropriate management of any issues or suggestions as work is done and invoices are received from the subcontractors. Alert management to job cost discrepancies such as overruns so management can control these expenses. Enter explanation of job cost discrepancy in Solomon when processing the invoice.
- Help manage and improve the division’s margins through analysis, tracking and ongoing improvement of processes to highlight margin erosion.
- Manage the division’s permit accounts and provide Excel summary to Corporate each month.
- Coordinate weekly meeting with appropriate Construction personnel to review/code/describe/approve non-standard subcontractor payables.
Accounts Receivable / Job Cost Analysis
- Enter bids into Solomon for sales management as requested. Create job cost card for bids and signings.
- Create and enter customer contract or signing in to establish customer accounts receivable account and record deposit. Communicate sold margin data to appropriate personnel and update daily sales report.
- Enter all addendums and ensure payment for addendum is received according to company policy.
- Finalize or clear the job contract once final construction audit is complete and start date is confirmed. Communicate cleared margin data to appropriate personnel and update daily sales report.
- Scan all checks to the bank utilizing check scanner verifying that scanned batch total equals our accounting system batch total. Download a daily summary of electronic payments. Make cash deposits to the bank safely and securely within 24 hours of receiving the cash.
- Enter all cash applications into our accounting system within 24 hours of receipt.
- For locations with Builder relationships, reconcile progress to billings and prepare invoices for the Builder to pay, manage due dates following up with Builder when agreed upon due dates are not met.
- Assist in collections efforts including monitoring the Division money list comments for accounting action items (i.e. payment schedule issues, write-off of amounts less than $250); write-off amounts equal to or greater than $250 with GM and Corporate Controller approved write-off request form. Coordinate weekly meeting with respective General Manager or their designate to ensure collection efforts are moving forward as identified in the comments and that comments are current at all times.
- Maintain price tracking report, daily sales report data, and other reports as needed.
- Meet month-end transaction and reporting deadlines as communicated by Corporate.
- Understand company records retention policy and manage local records retention according to company policy.
- Backup warehouse transaction administration as needed.
- Run and/or prepare reports as needed.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Associates or Bachelors’ degree in Accounting preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- One to three years of related experience in accounts payable, preferably in construction/home improvement industry; Strong math skills and accounting knowledge
- Strong math skills and accounting knowledge
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with ability to consistently multi-task and meet deadlines
- Proficiency in using MS Office and all other company core accounting systems
- Able to remain calm and positive while working under pressure.